Senior Attorney - Healthcare LitigationHybrid Remote | Eagan, Minnesota
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is one of the most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world with 2.5 million members. We’re committed to reinventing health care to improve health for our members and the community. We hope you'll join us.
How Is This Role Important to Our Work?
The Senior Attorney advises the organization on disputes and represents the organization in litigation. Prepares and reviews legal memoranda, pleadings, discovery, legal briefs, and other litigation documents. Studies legal decisions and proposed and existing statutes and regulations affecting the organization and advises departments. Reviews and approves correspondence and statements from a legal standpoint. Reviews contracts and other legal documents as applicable. Anticipates and guards against legal risks involving the organization. Provides legal advice for a number of areas of the organization.
We are the first in-house law department of any health care company in the United States to sign the well-being pledge for legal employers through the American Bar Association. We regularly and actively support attorneys and legal staff to look after themselves and seek to improve their health and well-being. Some examples of this support include values building activities and education and communication on well-being, mental health, and substance use disorders.
A Day in the Life:
- Analyze factual and legal basis of litigation brought by or against the organization.
- Review and interpret legal decisions and proposed and existing statutes and regulations.
- Represent the organization in legal proceedings, as applicable. Manage outside counsel relating to legal and regulatory matters, as applicable. Draft and review correspondence, pleadings, and discovery documents. Interacts with internal and external legal counsel.
- Identify potential legal issues related to business practices and policies and advise client/management. Work within the organization to minimize legal risks.
- Interact with senior management on a variety of legal issues.
- Provide legal advice on complex issues which require significant legal and business experience.
- Prepare and communicate legal summaries of laws, regulations, and sub-regulatory guidance, and assistance with implementing existing and new programs, policies and procedures.
Nice to Have:
- Healthcare/Health insurance experience preferred.
- 5+ years of litigation experience.
- Litigation experience in: ERISA; matters related to health insurance and health plan statutory and regulatory requirements in Minnesota (knowledge of other states effective) and interaction with Federal law; subrogation and reimbursement; mental health parity; commercial law including the UCC; debt collection; bankruptcy.
- Experience with complex litigation, such as cross-jurisdictional issues, multi-party matters, class actions, and mass torts.
- Employment law experience in litigation as well as counseling clients on employment and other human resources related legal matters.
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Degree in Law and admission to the Minnesota state bar.
- 5+ years of related professional experience. All relevant experience including work, education, transferable skills, and military experience will be considered!
- Litigation experience (in house or firm)
- Proficiency and passion in process improvement.
- Ability to balance both strong legal consulting and business partner collaboration.
- Superior legal research, interpersonal, and writing skills. Candidates may be asked for a writing sample.
- High integrity, with a desire to provide excellent service to insureds, employers, and internal business clients.
Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Reasonable Accommodation for Job Seekers with a Disability: If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All roles require a high school diploma (or equivalency) and legal authorization to work in the U.S.
Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® of Minnesota and Blue Plus® are nonprofit independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Be the first to know when new opportunities become available by joining our Talent Community.