Director, StrategyHybrid Remote | Eagan, Minnesota
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is one of the most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world with 2.5 million members. We’re committed to reinventing health care to improve health for our members and the community. We hope you'll join us.
How is This Role Important to Our Work?
The Director of Strategy will lead a highly effective strategy organization for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota. This includes driving and shaping the company's strategic direction in accordance with the company’s long-term goals, infusing the strategic plan throughout the organization and identifying and leading high-value strategic initiatives informed by market insights and business intelligence.
This Director will have high visibility with the executive leadership team and board of directors, including responsibility for design and execution of the board’s annual strategy session.
Key to the success of this role will be the ability to build rapport and act as a thought partner to the executive leadership team and senior leaders, clearly articulate thoughts and ideas and drive strategic initiatives.
A Day in the Life:
- Works with executive leadership to shape the company's strategic direction: vision, mission, goals, values, and priorities.
- Designs and implements the company's strategic planning processes, ensuring connectivity and alignment with growth, profitability, and mission-based goals.
- Ensures the company has the appropriate key performance indicators, reporting and performance evaluation processes to gauge progress towards delivery against the strategic plan and performance to goals.
- Provides data-driven analytical perspectives and supporting information – market and business - to inform plan development, strategic decisions, and scenario planning.
- Designs and delivers the annual board strategy session and annual strategy cycle for the executive leadership team.
- Conducts scenario planning activities in support of the company's strategy.
- Leads team in identifying and delivering key strategic initiatives.
- Facilitates collaboration across key business areas to ensure alignment on strategies, priorities, and goals.
- Develops and implements communication and engagement plans to ensure strong associate understanding of the company's strategic direction, goals, and plan.
- Reaches across the enterprise to build relationships that help enterprise strategy and add deeper value and success.
- Provides thought leadership and influences business partners as a strategic advisor.
- Manages several employees, within matrix-style project teams, ensuring goal setting, talent, and performance management processes are optimized; coaches and develops team towards succeeding above and beyond over the long term.
Nice to Have:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Health Administration, or other relevant graduate degree
- Clinical, Health Administration or Health insurance industry experience
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Accepting this director level position at BCBSMN requires signing an Employee Confidentiality, Intellectual Property Assignment and Restrictive Covenants Agreement as a condition of employment.
- 7+ years of related professional experience. All relevant experience including work, education, transferable skills, and military experience will be considered.
- 3 years of experience managing complex projects involving multiple team members and including task assignments, working with key customers (internal or external), managing teams and customer relationships, and managing deliverables.
- A strong collaborator who is inherently comfortable working with minimal supervision but understands when broader support is necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Strong creativity, influence, self-motivation, with a passion for transforming health care.
- Analytical and strategic thinking – able to see big picture from scattered pieces of information.
- Demonstrated understanding of the health industry and health care, including the competitive landscape, key trends, and emerging issues.
- Ability to lead and motivate high-performing teams, empowering people to continually improve and achieve their best performance.
- A high level of intellectual curiosity with confidence to challenge conventional thinking through fresh and creative insights; ability to independently manage ambiguity and thrive on change.
Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Reasonable Accommodation for Job Seekers with a Disability: If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All roles require a high school diploma (or equivalency) and legal authorization to work in the U.S.
Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® of Minnesota and Blue Plus® are nonprofit independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Be the first to know when new opportunities become available by joining our Talent Community.