Diversity and Inclusion at Blue Cross
Blue Cross is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diverse perspectives and reflects the populations we serve. This commitment is deeply rooted in our values of respect, imagination, accountability and courage, as well as our mission of making a healthy difference in people’s lives.
Core to this is a shared belief that all people should have opportunities to live the healthiest lives possible. To advance health equity, we must rely on our greatest asset – our employees. Their diverse experiences, cultures and viewpoints enable Blue Cross to meet the rapidly changing needs of the marketplace, our members and our communities.
Guided by a Strategic Diversity Council
Comprised of cross-organizational leadership, and chaired by our CEO, our Diversity Council helps ensure diversity and inclusion are embedded in our business decisions. The council recommends initiatives to promote a fair and respectful work environment, increase the diversity of our workforce, develop multicultural markets, promote supplier diversity, and support our efforts to advance health equity. The Council also provides guidance and direction for Blue Cross' employee resource groups.
Driven by core principles
The four main principles that drive our diversity and inclusion efforts include:
- We will recruit talented employees across a broad range of human attributes, which in turn will help us shape our future success.
- We will develop our employees by giving them every opportunity to be the people that they want to be, making full use of their gifts, passions and abilities. We will ensure that all our employees feel included and able to fully contribute to Blue Cross’ continuing success.
- We will be forward thinking in our business approach. As we develop new generations of Blue Cross customers, we will ensure that our workforce diversity is visible and promoted fully to the communities we serve, to help build customer commitment.
- We will strive to be both culturally sensitive and respectful of human differences, as well as similarities, in our employees and our members. We will never lose sight of our common humanity. We will respect each other.
Employee resource groups
Blue Cross believes that employee resource groups contribute to the achievement of company objectives and that people work more productively when they have opportunities to develop common interests and experiences through job-related activities. Employee resource groups are one way we develop a diverse and inclusive environment for all employees. The groups are employee-driven and participation in a group is voluntary.
Our resource groups include:
- African American Professionals Network (AAPN): This mission of AAPN is to promote respect for personal distinctions and to foster an environment and culture where African Americans and those of African descent can achieve their full potential.
- Asian Circle: Asian Circle strives to be a catalyst for change, by sharing the unique perspectives of its members within Blue Cross and by being the voice of Blue Cross within the Asian community.
- Blue Pride: An employee resource group for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees, and their allies, Blue Pride focuses on being a resource for employees and the company as a whole, contributing to the achievement of business goals.
- Christian Employee Resource Group (CERG): A resource group that may be of special interest to those who subscribe to or want to learn more about the Christian faith, CERG is open to any employee who wishes to promote respect for Blue Cross values, and foster an environment and culture where employees can achieve and contribute to their full potential.
- Fuerza Azul: Fuerza Azul’s mission is to create an environment where Latino-Americans are valued for their professional experiences, ideas, energy and historic contributions to Minnesota’s advancement and economic development.
- Generation Blue: Generation Blue provides a platform for GenX and GenY employees to develop leadership skills, network with others who share common interests, and advance their career goals, while also contributing to business initiatives.
- VETS: VETS exists to recognize the contributions made to our country and Blue Cross by employees who are Veterans and active Military Service personnel, and to support these employees and their families before, during and after deployment.
Community involvement and initiatives
Blue Cross gives back to the community in a variety of ways, including through our community relations initiatives (including volunteerism), the Center for Prevention, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation, and the combined efforts of departments throughout our organization. Together, we collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders to make Minnesota a healthier place for people to live, learn, work and play. Read our Report to the Community to learn more.
Blue Cross is also a proud sponsor of:
- The National Society of Hispanic MBAs (NSHMBA)
- National Black MBA Association - Twin Cities chapter (NBMBAATC)
- The National Association of Asian MBA's (NAAMBA)
- Out & Equal - GLBT CareerLink
Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected characteristic.