Diversity at Blue Cross
Blue Cross celebrates diversity. By introducing diverse experiences and backgrounds to the company, we incorporate different perspectives and skills and achieve our goal of offering the best products and services on the market. Diversity, whether attributes or behaviors, will give us a competitive advantage and allow us to grow and be successful as a health company.
Guided by a Strategic Diversity Council
Blue Cross' diversity efforts are led by its Diversity Council, which is chaired by our CEO. The council oversees efforts to promote a fair and respectful work environment where employees can achieve their full potential. Much of the council's focus is on developing strategies and initiatives that positively impact Blue Cross as a company. These include growing a diverse group of employees, as well as developing multicultural markets and promoting supplier diversity. The Council also provides guidance and direction for Blue Cross' employee resource groups.
Diversity mission statement
- We will recruit talented employees across a broad range of human attributes, which in turn will help us shape our future success.
- We will develop our employees by giving them every opportunity to be the people that they want to be, making full use of their gifts, passions and abilities. We will ensure that all our employees feel included and able to fully contribute to Blue Cross’ continuing success.
- We will be forward thinking in our business approach. As we develop new generations of Blue Cross customers, we will ensure that our workforce diversity is visible and promoted fully to the communities we serve, to help build customer commitment.
- We will strive to be both culturally sensitive and respectful of human differences, as well as similarities, in our employees and our members. We will never lose sight of our common humanity. We will respect each other.
Employee resource groups
Blue Cross believes that employee resource groups contribute to the achievement of company objectives and that people work more productively when they have opportunities to develop common interests and experiences through job-related activities. Employee resource groups are one way we can develop a diverse workforce and inclusive environment for all employees. The groups are employee-driven and participation in a group is voluntary.
Our resource groups include:
- Asian Circle
- Blue Pride
- Bronze Achievers
- Christian Employee Resource Group (CERG)
- Fuerza Azul
- Generation Blue
Sponsorships & recognition
Blue Cross is a proud sponsor of:
- The National Society of Hispanic MBAs (NSHMBA)
- National Black MBA Association - Twin Cities chapter (NBMBAATC)
- INROADS Internship Program
- The National Association of Asian MBA's (NAAMBA)
- Out & Equal - GLBT CareerLink
Human Rights Campaign (HRC) score
Blue Cross received top honors from the Human Right Campaign (HRC) by achieving a perfect score on the Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for our support of our LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) employees. The report rates businesses’ recognition of the importance of working with and providing for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) employees and consumers, including expanded benefits and protections.
Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, handicap or veteran's status, or status within any other protected group. We take affirmative action to make sure all of our employment practices are free from discrimination including compensation, benefits, promotions, transfers, layoffs, return from layoff, company-sponsored training, education, tuition reimbursement and social and recreational programs. Blue Cross prohibits retaliation against employees or applicants who exercise their legal rights under the law. And we investigate any report of retaliation against an employee or applicant who makes a complaint.
Quorum, the Twin Cities GLBT + Allied Business Community, has named Blue Cross its 2012 Community Partner of the Year in recognition of our inclusive workplace for all employees and support of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.